Monday, January 25, 2021

Street Birds

 By Tyree Daye


We hunt here, I was shown death

at the age of seven, something dead

in my uncle’s hands.


I touched the belly of the black snake

felt its body a muscle tense.


I know nothing

of the baby birds cut

from the sour smell of its stomach,


just as I know nothing

of the sister and brother I watched cut

from the back seat of a flipped over car,

their own little cave.


My uncle tossed the thin-winged birds

into the air; lost

in the overgrown wood forever.


They never flew, never rode

their Huffy bikes from street end

      to street end.


Never raced each other,

never turned a bike into a motorcycle

with an empty orange soda can. The black snake tail


will swirl until the sun goes down,

until the devil comes to get it.


I began to pray

for a new skin for my mother.


Once I cold name 

all the new things.

Mutt puppies, new heads of lettuce,

my uncle’s new car, new red heart.

From River Hymns





No comments:

Post a Comment